Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Circuit Board Repair

The most tedious part of the restoration process, in my opinion, is the circuit board repair. You can spend hours and hours replacing sockets and connectors, without being completely sure afterword that what you have done will actually work. I don't trust electricity.

The boards that came with Flash are from a Williams System 4 type game, which contained early circuit boards that orginally came with a boatload of troubles. Before even turning the game on, I replaced the 40-pin connector between the CPU and the driver board, several capacitors, diodes, and varistors on the power supply board, all of the capacitors on the sound board, a bridge rectifier in the backbox, multiple Molex wire connectors, and replaced the missing display units with a brand new, Rottendog LED scoring display system.

After all of this I tested the supplied voltages being generated by the power supply, and they were all right on the money. One big problem down, or avoided altogether. And I only burned myself about 7 times with my new soldering iron.

No comments:

Post a Comment